2nd Vienna International Music Competition
(Piano, Strings, Voice, Winds, Chamber Music)
The “Vienna International Music Competition” has been designed to promote musicians of all ages and disciplines who possess outstanding artistic personality, by offering them a debut recital at Vienna Konzerthaus, together with a cash prize, a video recording and international management.
Vienna is universally considered the capital of classical music, and Vienna Konzerthaus is one of the the most popular and prestigious classical concert hall.
Mozart Saal (Vienna Konzerthaus)
VIDEO SELECTION (travel is NOT required to apply).
No age limit. ALL musical disciplines.
Official results: 22 February 2020
WINNERS’ RECITALS: VIENNA KONZERTHAUS
28 March 2020
Over 35.000 € in prizes
YOUNG ARTIST: 8 to 19 years old
VIRTUOSO: 20 to 26 years old
PROFESSIONAL: 27 years old and older, with no age limit
Discipline A: PIANO
Discipline B: STRINGS
(Violin - Viola - Cello - Double Bass - Harp - Guitar)
Discipline C: VOICE
(Soprano - Mezzo - Contralto - Tenor - Baryton - Bass)
Discipline D: WOODWINDS, BRASS
(Flute - Oboe - Clarinet - Bassoon
Trumpet - French Horn - Trombone - Tuba - Accordion - Saxophone)
Discipline E: CHAMBER MUSIC
(Duos, Trios, Quartets and Quintets)
- At least 10 Recitals at Vienna Konzerthaus:
In each of the three age categories (Young Artist, Virtuoso and Professional), 2, 3 or 4 Grand Awards will be awarded. The musicians who are awarded a First Grand Prize (at least 10 musicians) will each offer a short recital at Vienna Konzerthaus (Mozart Saal), on 28th March, 2020. The Awards Ceremony will take place in conjunction with the winners’ recitals at Vienna Konzerthaus on 28th March, 2020.
- Video recording:
A professional recording will be made at the winners' recitals (at Vienna Konzerthaus), and will be offered to the winners for personal use. Professional pictures will be taken for the winners as well.
- Cash prize:
Each of the winners of a First Grand Award (at least 10), will receive a professional fee for the concert at Konzerthaus, as well as free invitations.
- International management:
Various musicians will be offered the invitation to join the roster of “Manhattan Concert Artists” for worldwide representation, as a free service with no exclusivity.
- Marketing campaign and publicity for the concert at Vienna Konzerthaus. International critics, music promoters and international managers will be invited.
- At least 30 Golden and Silver special prizes: offered to musicians who possess outstanding talent.
- Concert engagements at international venues.
Competitors are to register before the application deadline, by using the online form (APPLICATION in the main menu), and following these steps:
- All fields of the online form should be filled out.
- A brief biography (no more than 500 words) must be submitted, highlighting the musician's main achievements and musical training (schools).
- Applicants must select the appropriate category for their age:
The YOUNG ARTIST category is open to musicians who are less than 19 years old on the 1st of January of 2020.
The VIRTUOSO category is open to musicians who are between 19 and 26 years old on the 1st of January of 2020.
The PROFESSIONAL category is open to musicians who are at least 27 years old on the 1st of January of 2020 (with no age limit).
The CHAMBER MUSIC category is open to musicians of ALL ages.
* The application form must be filled by one member of the Chamber Music ensemble with his / her personal data. Additionally, he or she must specify on the form the name, age, instrument and email of the other members of the Chamber Music ensemble. In the case of Chamber Music Ensembles, each member of the ensemble must submit the application fee individually.
REPERTOIRE for KONZERTHAUS
- Provide the REPERTOIRE to be performed at VIENNA KONZERTHAUS, according to the following timing for each category:
PERFORMANCE TIMES AT KONZERTHAUS
YOUNG ARTIST: between 5 and 9 minutes.
VIRTUOSO: between 9 and 12 minutes.
PROFESSIONAL and CHAMBER MUSIC: between 12 and 16 minutes.
Applicants can propose 1, 2 or even 3 short pieces. Individual movements of large pieces are acceptable. The total playing time can vary around 2 minutes from the proposed timing for each category.
Pianists must choose pieces for piano solo. String players, singers and wind performers can choose pieces with piano accompaniment or solo repertoire. String players, wind performers and singers will NOT need to perform with their own piano accompanists. The Vienna International Competition will provide an accompanist for the Winner’s Concert at Konzerthaus on 28th March, 2020.
- Applicants must send the links of the videos they wish to submit for consideration (via Youtube, Vimeo, Youku, Google Drive, etc.). They can send 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 individual links of the video recordings. The repertoire of the video recordings is totally FREE: applicants can choose the styles, pieces and composers that best describe their artistic personality in the best way.
The total duration of the video recordings should last at least as long as the proposed performance time for each category:
TOTAL DURATION OF THE VIDEO RECORDINGS
YOUNG ARTIST: 5 minutes or more
VIRTUOSO: 9 minutes or more
PROFESSIONAL: 12 minutes or more
CHAMBER MUSIC: 12 minutes or more
The musical works of the video recordings may be different to the repertoire proposed for the recital at Vienna Konzerthaus. Solo recordings and concertos with orchestra or piano accompaniment are acceptable, as well as individual movements of sonatas and concertos. String performers, singers and wind performers can send repertoire for duo with piano.
In the event that a candidate cannot submit the videos online for technical reasons or cannot make the payment by credit card, contact us via email at for assistance.
- Winners' names will be published on the “Vienna International Music Competition” website:
(www.viennacompetition.com) on 22 February 2020.
- The Winners' recitals at Vienna Konzerthaus, in all categories (Young Artist, Virtuoso, Professional and Chamber Music) will take place on 28 March 2020.
- International Jury: The audition for the jury will be evaluated through the video materials presented by each participant. A panel of international judges will evaluate the video material submitted, and the final selections of winners will be based solely on the video recordings submitted. Judges are independent, and their students are not permitted to participate in the competition. The judges' votes will be strictly confidential, and will not be shared nor published.
CONDITIONS OF APPLICATION
- Applications of minor musicians must be filled and submitted by their parents or legal guardian (tutor).
- Once an online application is sent, it may be resubmitted to change its content. Only the last version submitted will be considered by the jury.
- Once the application fee is submitted, it cannot be reimbursed.
- The international jury's decisions are final and not to be discussed. The jury's votes and opinions are strictly confidential, and the jury members will not be able to provide feedback about the applicant's performance on the video recordings.
- The First Great Award (recital at Vienna Konzerthaus) could we awarded or not in any of the age categories and disciplines. At least 10 musicians will perform at Vienna Konzerthaus.
- Applicants who fail to submit the online application and the application fee prior to the deadline will be disqualified. In the case of Chamber Music Ensembles, each member of the ensemble have to submit the application fee individually.